Sunday, August 23, 2009

1 day before - Parties

I almost missed the last day . . . oh noes!

Actually, seeing as how my first class doesn't start until 6 in the evening, I'm probably going to do one more of these before I go to said class. So, you're not rid of me yet!

I'm feeling a bit stuffed, because I went to two parties today. The first party was a lunch barbecue at my friend James' house. James is a friend I made as an undergrad five years ago. He's married with two kids, seven and two-and-a-half, both boys, the older of whom I played games of basketball, kickball, and baseball (Wii style) this afternoon. I have a lot of respect for James. He dropped out of college when he was younger, and then decided to start again for the sake of his son. So, he's trying to raise a family and get a Bachelor's degree at the same time, which is no easy task. (I found it hard just maintaining a girlfriend . . . as evidenced by the three I went through as an undergrad.)

The second party was a gathering of the music ed grad students so we could meet and get to know each other. I already knew most of them, because I'd met the first years at GradSTEP, and at least one of the second years I knew from undergrad. (He's also a graduate of BG.) We spent most of our time playing Rock Band, which is an amazing game. I found out I'm actually a decent percussionist. (Better than guitar and bass, anyway.)

It's kind of nice to be able to socialize IRL with people my own age. Don't get me wrong, I love the online community as well. But there's something to be said for real life.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment