Wednesday, August 26, 2009

2 days after - White Trash

So, I lived in Bowling Green for five years, four years on campus and one year in an apartment in town. It's a college town, and I was constantly surrounded by campus life, which (apart from the drunken revelry on Thursday nights) is pretty cultured. But it wasn't until I moved out here to the fringes of town that I truly realized how much white trash lives in Bowling Green.

I mean, I knew they were here. I'd seen them on occasion. I even made a wrong turn once and ended up driving through a trailer park. (That was scary.) And I knew that the campus was about the same population as the town, (actually a little bigger, I think) meaning that though it SEEMED cultured and liberal and open-minded and forward-thinking, it wasn't necessarily that way when the college students went home for the summer. But now I'm out here at the edge of town, making regular trips to Wal-mart for supplies . . . and wow. Beer drinking, wife-beater wearing, trashy car driving (not that I have room to talk on that score) hicks.

Take one of the maintenance guys for the apartment complex. First of all, in the week and a half since I've moved here, I don't think I've ever seen him wearing a shirt. Plus, he drives this old clunker, bright yellow, huge-ass tires on the back, with a bumper sticker that says, "Burns Gas and Hauls Ass," or words to that effect. I mean, really? It's one thing to drive a gas guzzler, but to advertise it, to take pride in the fact that you're paying twice as much for gas as you could be? Wow.

This is not to say that the apartment complex is trashy. It's really quite nice. The only places that look even remotely ghetto are the laundry facilities. But, yeah. Call me judgmental, but I'm hoping I don't need to call on the maintenance guy anytime soon.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment