Tuesday, August 18, 2009

6 days before - Exams

Well, I think I can say with some degree of certainty that I bombed my music history placement exam. It's a pretty bad sign when you're looking at a multiple choice question and don't recognize ANY of the given names. There were roughly seventy multiple choice questions on the exam, of which I was able to answer five confidently (i.e. without guessing.)

So, that's nice.

The other part of the exam was to look at these scores and figure out what period the piece was likely written in, what the style, form, and genre was, who might have written it, and what sort of stylistic things they used, all backed up with musical evidence from the score. I think I did all right on this one, because that's basically what I do in my book reviews all the time . . . find things to analyze, and then geek out over them. But I very much doubt that this will counterbalance my abominable performance on the multiple choice section. But all that really means is that I have to take a remedial music history course, and from what I heard from my fellow grad students, I surely won't be the only one there.

Yesterday's music theory exam, however, I'm reasonably sure that I passed. I remembered the stuff better than I thought I would, even the twentieth century twelve-tone crap, although if I messed up anything, it was that. But this is where my true nerdiness comes out . . . again, analysis. I've been spending the last year analyzing choir pieces and driving my family nuts. Fun! =)

Tomorrow I get to schedule my classes. Yay! We'll see how that goes. I just hope the remainder of grad school isn't going to be as boring as the seminars I've had to sit through thus far. Otherwise, it's gonna be a loooong couple of years . . .

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment