Monday, August 17, 2009

7 days before - Scheduling

I'm sitting in Panera, using their free wireless, and I just gave up on trying to plan my schedule. Why? Because BGSU sucks, that's why.

Okay, some explanation. First of all, classes start in one week . . . and I don't yet know what classes I'm taking, because the powers-that-be don't want me registering for classes until I've met with an advisor, which I don't do until Wednesday. (Ironically, they didn't put a hold on my account like they do for undergrads, meaning that they trust me not to register for classes, but they don't trust me to know what I'm doing when it comes to registering.)

Many college students at BGSU, and particularly in the College of Musical Arts, universally agree that an academic advisor somewhere has royally screwed them over, and extended their college career by at least a semester, and sometimes a full year. But, okay, fine. At the very least I can browse the classes and figure out what classes I want to take, right?

Wrong. First of all, the CMA doesn't seem to be quite sure what plan I'm on, because I've received two checklists: one for Comprehensive Music Ed (which includes a thesis) and Instrumental Music Ed (which doesn't.) Second, they've changed, completely, the way in which we register for classes, making it more like an online shopping network than a scheduling program (and further increasing the view of education as a business.) This new method of class registration also makes it very difficult to figure out both which semesters the classes I need are offered (only that they are or are not being offered next semester) and what time the classes meet, particularly if you're looking for a class that isn't offered this semester. Now, if I'm trying to figure out which classes I need to take this semester, would it not stand to reason that it would be helpful for me to know when other classes are being offered, so that I can roughly plan all two years of grad school and save myself much pain and aggravation?

Then, could someone please explain to me why BGSU seems to have not planned any classes past this coming semester?

I hate dealing with crap like this. It makes me want to kill small animals. Hopefully, though, by Wednesday, everything will be made clear.

Hopefully.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment