Sunday, July 26, 2009

29 days before - Children's Authors

We watched Matilda this evening, the movie based on the children's book by Roald Dahl, an excellent book that I haven't read for quite a while and should probably pick up again. It gets me thinking about how much inspiration J.K. Rowling must have gotten from children's authors like Dahl. We tend to believe, I think, that something like Harry Potter just sort appeared one day, but Dahl's influence is fairly obvious, particularly in the beginning of the series. It reads very much like the child-empowering sort of literature that a lot of good children's authors have written, which may have been one of the things that drew kids into it in the first place. And then suddenly BOOM!, in Goblet of Fire (the book I'm nearly finished with now) it becomes abruptly serious, somehow without losing that feel.

Okay, this is what, the fourth blog in a row I've done about Harry Potter? Maybe I'll write about something else tomorrow . . .

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment