Thursday, June 18, 2009

67 days before - The Older Generation

As I type this, my mother is in the process of setting up an account on YouTube. Yes, that's right. My mom is now on YouTube. Watching my videos. Well, actually, right now she's watching a seven-year-old kid named Logan sing Amazing Grace with too much vibrato and a flat tone that everyone, nonetheless, seems to think is amazing. But no matter.

It's interesting watching the older generation try to figure new technology. Things that come so easily and naturally to me and my siblings (and mind you, I am by no means a technological wizard) come incredibly slowly to my parents. It's not their fault, of course. They just grew up with something different. I'm sure that when I have kids of my own, they will be able to operate new technology with unsurpassed ease, while I'll still be struggling with the thing that came out five years before. It's kind of the nature of generations. The world is always changing, and each successive generation grows up in a different environment. This is neither a good nor a bad thing . . . it's just the nature of things.

Which is why it's important for us to adapt to the world, and not try to hold tight to past traditions that have no purpose. We can't stop the world from changing, but by golly we seem bound and determined to try. This is one of the things that amuses me about hardcore conservatives: they always seem to be fighting a losing battle. Historically, liberals and conservatives alike have inevitably bowed to change.

Which is why I have a little more hope in the world than most.

Interesting . . . that went from my mother setting up her YouTube account to a commentary on politics. I'm weird like that.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment