Saturday, June 13, 2009

72 days before - Wrinkled Flutes

One of my brother's good friends, Kelsey, had her graduation party today. Kelsey goes to our church and has kind of adopted our family, so we all know her pretty well. (You'll find I have a lot of siblings who aren't actually related to me by blood. Kelsey is one of them.)

Anyway, Kelsey's a very sweet girl . . . and about as flighty as they come. Here's an example of said flightiness that she's never been able to live down.

One day, when Jeffrey and Kelsey were both freshman and my sister, Cassie, was a senior, my dad was taking them all home from marching band practice. Kelsey plays flute, normally, but for marching band this year she was playing cymbals. I don't know exactly what led to this particular conversation (as I wasn't actually there) but the discussion turned to instruments getting wet.

My sister said, "You don't want your flute to get wet." Because you don't. Bad things happen.

And my dad said, "Yeah, they get all wrinkled." Because my dad does that: makes offhand jokes in a very dry fashion. The family is used to this by now, and my dad never thought that anyone would take him seriously.

Kelsey's response: "Really?!?"

Yeah . . . Bear in mind she was a freshman. She's improved some since then . . . though she still doesn't believe some of the things we say, even if they are true.

-Matt

1 comment:

  1. I forget a lot of the set-up -- it had to do with water coming out of the mouthpiece of brass instruments and how Kelsey thought that was disgusting and so was glad she played cymbals. From that point on, this was the conversation, more or less:

    Me: I'm pretty sure the flute wouldn't have that problem either, Kelsey.

    Kelsey: You never know. You might.

    Me: I don't want to know what you would have been doing with your flute to get water to come out of the mouthpiece during a horns to the box.

    Kelsey: Maybe you went canoeing and had to use it as a paddle! *complete with hand motions*

    Me: But you wouldn't take your flute canoeing, Kelsey. You don't want to know what happens to flutes when they get wet.

    Kelsey: Why? What happens?

    Dad: They get all wrinkly.

    Kelsey: Really?!?

    And there you have it. :)

    ReplyDelete