Wednesday, June 3, 2009

82 days before - Me and stuff

It occurs to me that this is my fourth blog post, and I haven't officially introduced myself. I mean, most of you who are actually reading already know me from YouTube and/or real life, but still . . . I suppose I should give you a brief rundown of who I am.

I'm Matt. I talk stuff. That about covers it.

Okay, for reals. I'm a substitute teacher/home tutor . . . or at least I was. I'll still be tutoring over the summer, but the substitute teacher stint is pretty much over now, unless I get called in on one of the last two days of school. And the home tutoring to which I was referring is through the substitute program at the school, so it's the school that pays me. I'll be doing private tutoring over the summer . . . so the parents pay me.

I'm trained in music education. This is also what I will be majoring in in graduate school. However, I've done very little actual music teaching in the past year. I worked with the marching band some in the fall, and I've been teaching one of my IEP students how to play drums, but that's about it. My IEP students have no other teaching other than me, so I give them a bit of everything. I actually returned their textbooks today. There were a lot of them, and most of them were pretty worthless. (The textbooks, I mean, not the students.) Most of my students over the summer will be music students, though I will also have a few reading students.

That pretty much covers my career, such as it is.

The other errand I ran today (other than returning the books) was to make a trip to the library, because I books were due. I finished reading I Am The Messenger, by Markus Zusak, which is an amazing book that you should all read. I also finished reading The Battle of the Labyrinth, by Rick Riordan, the fourth book in his Percy Jackson and Olympians series. Book five is also out, and I need to find it and read it. It's not at the library and I didn't see at our bookstore. The series is a good one, and I'll probably talk more about it once I've read the fifth book. I also checked out three more books, because I totally need more to read. (I have a habit of reading four or five books all at the same time, especially in the summer when I actually have time to read.) I checked out Bound, by Donna Jo Napoli, The Year of Secret Assignments, by Jaclyn Moriarty, and Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire.

Currently, I'm reading The Sorceress, which is the third book in Michael Scott's The Immortal Secrets of Nicholas Flamel series, another excellent series that is, unfortunately, only half published, and the remaining three books will come out in the subsequent summers of the next three years. Every book thus far has ended in a cliffhanger, and I very much doubt that this one will be an exception to that rule.

And . . . that's it. That's me: a teacher and a reader. I write some too. And of course, I vlog on YouTube . . . but you probably already knew that.

Talk atcha later!

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment